Thursday, January 27, 2011

Developing a Daily Practice

I am not sure I have explicitly stated this, but I truly believe that the best way for me to truly dance with the shakit, in the ways I've described, is to form a consistent daily practice of meditation. I have had a strong asan practice for a almost 6 years, but I have mostly dappled in meditation: 5 minutes before bed, 10 minutes after an asana practice. This past fall, I began being drawn to it. Sometimes I would sit for 20 min or longer without having done asana at all.

Organically, I have been drawn to this practice and I believe the shakti introduced me to the "Radiance Sutras" by Lorin Roche for this reason. I've been quoting some sutras in my blog so far and I know that that will just continue. They are so rich. They are so vibrant.

In the back of this book, Lorin writes about developing a daily practice. He explains and describes each of the following statements, so owning the book is a true treat. For future reference, and to share with anyone who stumbles upon my blog, I wanted to list the process. I think it was written just for me. ;-)

DEVELOPING A DAILY PRACTICE, Lorin Roche, PhD

Be playful
Be gradual
Learn by heart
Be succinct
Learn what effortlessness is
Ask your inner wisdom to lead you
Allow yourself to rest in the truth of your being
Take naps
Don't do too much
Ride your rhythms
Cultivate the opposite
Honor your individuality
Develop expression commensurate with your communion
Be tender toward your wounds
Check in with your child
Use all your senses
Balance sensitivity and strength
Get elemental
Honor the no
Welcome your emotions
Cherish nuance
Welcome emotional release
Savor
Note the difference between householders and monks
Write your own sutras
Learn how to be consistent
Ask questions of life
Look at art, listen to music, read poetry, and dance
Get coaching

In particular, I am learning to honor the no. No is a truly valuable word. A truly valuable practice. Sometimes I think I need to make a list of *NOT*-to dos as opposed to a list of To-dos. Not doing a lot of the things that suffocate my day and make it cluttered provides freedom to do the things that truly matter to me. For example, checking email once in the morning and then again in the evening is appropriate. There is no reason to be checking on the way to class, while I'm trying to focus on reading an article, or while I'm doing yoga, for that matter. Email clutters my life and I don't get to notice the crunch of the snow under my feet as I walk to class. I miss out. There are many more examples that may not seem so clear, but are similar in nature. We have developed into a society that doesn't breathe or really RELAX. We are a society that is always doing, distracting ourselves from the truth of our being.

So I am developing a daily practice and I think the above suggestions are a great way to support it. I'm very excited to open up to the richness of life that exists inside my heart and soul. What a gift!

Don't take a single breath for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment